Monday, November 18, 2013

Good Things Must Come To An End

It's been a little bit since I have written for my blog. Times have been stressful to say the least. The whole "I'm going to find conversational English classes" thing hasn't been particularly successful either. I have a roommate now, which is a good thing. But at the moment, I'm just not really doing a whole lot which is a problem. Even though I'm trying to remain optimistic about the whole situation, it looks that I will most likely be returning home in January. No one really knows how much it pains me to say that. I'm starting to come to terms with it more and more, but at the same time, I just want to run away and never leave. Except they would deport me which also wouldn't be a good thing.
In my spare time, I have been watching a lot of Breaking Bad, I'm not going to lie. I've become very involved with the show and have developed the biggest crush on Jesse Pinkman. As you can see, my life has been extremely riveting lately.

On a lighter note, I discovered the strangest thing that still baffles me and goes to show just how small this world is. When I walk to the city center from my flat every day, I pass this sign with a basketball player on it. In Vitoria, they have this pretty good team here that's in the European League. Actually, Magui and I ran in to a player (of course we had no idea who he was) and made Magui take a picture with him because she's so short and he was so tall. It ended up he played in the NBA for a little bit and is a key player for the team here. That's beside the point. This sign I pass every day has this person on it that looked very familiar to me and above him the name said Hodge. I thought to myself "Ha. That's strange. He kind of looks like Walter Hodge from the Gators." I didn't really think that it was him because why on earth would he be in Vitoria. Come on. But one day, I decided to stop and actually look at the sign, and right to the left of the name "Hodge" it said "Walter" on it. Walter Hodge plays basketball in Vitoria. Walter Hodge from The University of Florida. It's seriously the strangest thing. Of all the places in Europe, this is where he ends up. So fingers crossed I get to see him walking in the street so I can throw some "Go Gators" at him. Then naturally we would become best friends and he would eventually introduce me to Chandler Parsons and we would get married.



Another update is that it snowed for the first time on Friday. Snow. In November. I didn't even know how to handle it. Mainly because I walk everywhere. Of course I have been in snow before, but normally if I'm traveling somewhere, I get into a car and it's not a big deal. However, in Vitoria, my only mode of transportation is my feet. So I put on several layers of clothing and didn't know if bringing an umbrella was acceptable or not. It just seems weird to use an umbrella for snow. I used it nonetheless and apparently that's what you do. I just, again, didn't know how to handle myself. Tomorrow we are supposed to get more snow. At least, that's what my phone said. 
The cold is great. The only downside is that it makes me want to stay inside all day long underneath my blankets. And side note: I still haven't turned on my heat. How's that for energy efficiency?

I wish I was able to supply you all with more exciting news. But really, nothing that exciting has happened. Maybe it's kind of sad that the only really cool thing (to me anyway) that I reported was about Walter Hodge.

I guess being here is a little depressing at times because I just think about the future and how soon I'm going to go home. Of course I want to see my friends and family, but I just feel like I'm giving up leaving so soon. Yeah, six months is quite a while to live abroad, make no mistake. It's just I planned to stay here for a year. Furthermore, the friendships I have made here, all the people I have met, it's just weird to think that maybe I won't see them again. It's weird to think that they might only be a memory in a six-month period of my life. Granted, they will be awesome memories, but still. These friends are completely different than the ones back home, and I really don't want to lose them. I guess that's part of life though. Of course then, I start having these fantasies about reuniting with all of them at one point (I'm looking at you, Melanie and Sophie) ten years down the road, in La Virgen Blanca. On top of that, I start thinking about how small the world is, and then hope is kind of restored in my head for a little bit. If we're meant to meet again, we will. So, I'm done being a little depressing. Maybe next time I will have a bit more to write about.

XX



No comments:

Post a Comment